HOW WE USE YOUR DATA
Burnhills (and our trusted service providers) uses your personal data:
- to provide goods and services to you;
- to provide order information and delivery tracking:
- to make a tailored website available to you;
- to manage any registered account(s) that you hold with us;
- to verify your identity;
- for crime and fraud prevention, detection and related purposes;
- to fulfill our legal requirements and / or contractual obligations;
- with your expressed consent, to contact you electronically about promotional offers and products or services;
Only with your expressed consent, Burnhills uses your personal data for electronic marketing purposes and may send you email communications to update you on offers, products and services.
You have the right to opt out of receiving promotional communications at any time, by:
1. changing marketing preferences via your Burnhills account;
2. making use of the simple “unsubscribe” link in emails
After you have placed an order with us, Burnhills may request a trusted 3rd party to contact you via email with an invitation to leave a review for products or services. This is to help us to better understand how to improve products and services in future.
Other third parties
Aside from our service providers (e.g. the courier you select to deliver your goods), Burnhills will not disclose your personal data to any third party, except as set out below. We will never sell or rent our customer data to other organisations for marketing purposes.
We may share your data with:
- credit reference agencies where necessary for card payments;
- governmental bodies, regulators, law enforcement agencies, courts/tribunals and insurers where we are required to do so: -
- to comply with our legal obligations;
- to exercise our legal rights (for example in court cases);
- for the prevention, detection, investigation of crime or prosecution of offenders; and
- for the protection of our employees and customers.
We will not retain your data for longer than necessary for the purposes set out in this Policy. Different retention periods apply for different types of data, however the longest we will normally hold any personal data is 7 years.
Burnhills may collect the following information about you:
- your name:
- your contact details: postal address including billing and delivery addresses, telephone numbers (including mobile numbers) and e-mail address;
- copies of your identification documents where necessary under our legal obligation e.g. to supply you with controlled or regulated substances or products
- purchases and orders made by you;
- your on-line browsing activities on the Burnhills website;
- your password(s);
- when you make a purchase or place an order with us, your payment card details;
- your communication and marketing preferences;
- your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses;
- your location;
- your correspondence and communications with Burnhills; and
- other publicly available personal data, including any which you have shared via a public platform (such as a Twitter feed or public Facebook page).
Our website is not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
This list is not exhaustive and, in specific instances, we may need to collect additional data for the purposes set out in this Policy. Some of the above personal data is collected directly, for example when you set up an on-line account on our websites, or send an email to our customer services team. Other personal data is collected indirectly, for example your browsing or shopping activity.
Burnhills is committed to keeping your personal data safe and secure. Our website operates a secure checkout. Online customer data and order information is stored by our website developers, who are a well respected and forward thinking company who take the protection of data very seriously. Although every effort is made to protect your personal data, unfortunately the transmission of information via the internet can never be guarantee as completely secure. Any transmission is at your own risk. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone. We would strongly urge you to have suitable security software on any internet-enabled device you use.
You have the following rights:
- the right to ask what personal data that we hold about you at any time;
- the right to ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you
- the right to request that we delete any information we hold about you, subject to any legal obligations we may have to retain certain information.
- (as set out above) the right to opt out of any marketing communications that we may send you.
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, please contact us using the contact details provided below.
Burnhills collects and uses customers’ personal data because is it necessary for:
- the pursuit of our legitimate interests (as set out below) or:
- complying with our legal obligations.
- the purpose of complying with our duties and exercising our rights under a contract.
In general, we only rely on consent as a legal basis for processing in relation to sending direct marketing communications to customers via email.
Customers have the right to withdraw consent at any time. Where consent is the only legal basis for processing, we will cease to process data after consent is withdrawn.
The normal legal basis for processing customer data, is that it is necessary for the legitimate interests of Burnhills, including:-
- selling and supplying goods and services to our customers;
- protecting customers, employees and other individuals and maintaining their safety, health and welfare;
- promoting, marketing and advertising our products and services;
- understanding our customers’ behaviour, activities, preferences, and needs;
- improving existing products and services and developing new products and services;
- complying with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- preventing, investigating and detecting crime, fraud or anti-social behaviour and prosecuting offenders, including working with law enforcement agencies;
- handling customer contacts, queries, complaints or disputes;
- managing warranty claims by customers;
- protecting Burnhills, its employees and customers, by taking appropriate legal action against third parties who have committed criminal acts or are in breach of legal obligations to Burnhills;
- effectively handling any legal claims or regulatory enforcement actions taken against Burnhills; and
- fulfilling our duties to our customers and colleagues
The cookies stored on your computer or other device when you access our website and are necessary to enable you to a make purchases on our website;
The main purposes for which cookies are used are: -
1. For technical purposes essential to effective operation of our websites, particularly in relation to on-line transactions and site navigation.
3. To enable Burnhills to collect information about your browsing and shopping patterns, including to monitor the success of campaigns, competitions etc.
4. To enable Burnhills to meet its contractual obligations to make payments to third parties when a product is purchased by someone who has visited our website from a site operated by those parties.
If you want to disable cookies you need to change your website browser settings to reject cookies. How you can do this will depend on the browser you use. Please check with your browser provider.
This depends on which cookies you disable, but in general the website may not operate properly if cookies are switched off. If you only disable third party cookies, you will not be prevented from making purchases on our sites. If you disable all cookies, you may be unable to complete a purchase on our site.
If you have any questions about how Burnhills uses your personal data that are not answered here, or if you want to exercise your rights regarding your personal data, please contact us by any of the following means:
- phone us on: 01274 872 423;
- e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or
- write to us at: Burnhills, Unit C Middleton Business Park, Cartwright Street, Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire, BD19 5LY
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Further information, including contact details, is available at https://ico.org.uk.
This policy was last updated in May 2018