CoolStance copra meal is a unique, naturally cool horse feed. CoolStance copra is made from the white part of the coconut, which has been dried, baked and ground. It is a totally natural product and is chemical and GMO free.
It has low Non Structural Carbohydrate (NSC), and yet has a high digestible energy content. CoolStance is packed with ‘cool' energy from coconut oil and fibre from coconut meal. CoolStance copra is suitable for most horses and can be fed to maintain a natural state of gut health and insulin sensitivity, ie normal insulin metabolism.
• Provides high-density ‘cool’ energy from oil and digestible fibre (15 MJ DE/kg DM).
• Contains <2% starch and may reduce the effect of hot or fizzy behaviour in horses
• Contains < 11% Non Structural Carbohydrates (NSC) making it a low GI feed
• Contains coconut oil, which is a saturated oil and is not prone to rancidity or oxidation
• Rich in Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) which are absorbed directly into the portal blood and provide readily digestible energy. MCT are unlike most other oils (soy, corn, flaxseed) which are polyunsaturated, and are slowly digested.
• MCT from coconut oil may have antimicrobial actions from the Lauric and Caprylic acid
• MCT are thought to maintain a healthy gut
• Provides a balanced supply of protein and energy
• Highly palatable, even for picky eaters
• May improve body, hoof and coat condition.
• Reduces hay requirement
• May avoid metabolic disorders (tying up, laminitis, colic, EMS)
To get the best results, the Stance Equine Feeding System is used:
• Remove all grain and grain-based feed from the diet.
• Feed CoolStance copra at the rate recommended, depending upon work or exercise levels.
• Feed medium quality grass hay or pasture to provide the remainder of the diet.
• Check there are no seed heads in the hay.
• Provide fresh, clean water away from the CoolStance feeder to ensure the horses leave the feed trough. This should be done for all feeds, as it will slow down the rate of eating and assist digestion.
• For most horses, CoolStance and hay will provide the required amounts of minerals and vitamins. *For yearlings and brood mares, a balanced mineral and vitamin supplement may be required.
• Horses were designed to eat little and often and usually graze for 16-18 hours per day. Feeding twice per day may cause "insulin spikes" which can predispose horses to insulin resistance. This can be avoided by feeding less and more often. If feeding more than twice per day is not practical, feed the hay in a hay feeder which limits the horse to eating the hay over several hours.
• For example, for a 500kg horse, feed 1kg CoolStance and 3 kg hay both morning and evening. Adjust the amount of CoolStance depending on the level of work.
• Remove all treats that contain sugar or starch
Frequently Asked Questions
Which horses can you feed CoolStance® to?
CoolStance® can be fed to most types of horses - working, spelling and breeding. CoolStance® may also be fed successfully to horses developing or suffering from metabolic disorders. It can be fed to help maintain insulin sensitivity in all horses. Foals may be fed CoolStance® in a creep feed. It may also help keep condition on older horses. CoolStance® contains low levels of NSC (<12%) which may be suitable for horses at risk of insulin resistance, laminitis and tying up. It may be useful in the diet of horses affected by Cushing's disease to reduce the NSC intake.
Why does CoolStance appear brown?
CoolStance® is brown because the white meat of the coconut has been heated during processing to extract the coconut oil.
Does CoolStance® contain the husk or the shell?
CoolStance® does not contain any husk or shell. It is made from the white meat of the coconut. High fibre (20%) comes from the flesh of the coconut.
How does CoolStance® supply energy?
CoolStance® provides readily digestible sources of energy from:
• Oil - CoolStance® contains 8-10 % oil; medium-chain-triglycerides
• Digestible fibre; and
• Protein - CoolStance® contains the gluconeogenic amino acids asparagine, glutamine, arginine, alanine, valine and serine, which can be used to produce glucose for energy.
How is CoolStance® different to other oilseed meals?
The oils in other meals such as soybean and canola contain mainly Long Chain Fatty Acids (LCFA), which are polyunsaturated. This means they are digested slowly, and are prone to rancidity during storage. Some commercialised oils are made using GMO seeds/grains.
The fatty acids in CoolStance® are mainly medium chain triglycerides (MCT) and are saturated. This means they are readily digested, absorbed by the horse and are not prone to rancidity during storage. CoolStance is GMO and chemical free.
Is CoolStance® palatable?
CoolStance® has a unique aroma and taste, which most horses like. A small number of horses can find the product unusual and can be slow to take to it. Start with small amounts and build up slowly. Persist, as the results are worth the effort.
Do you feed CoolStance® wet or dry?
CoolStance can be fed dry or as a wet mash. Some horse may prefer the texture of CoolStance® when it is wet.
When CoolStance is soaked in water, it will swell to at least 3 times the volume. If we feed it dry will CoolStance swell up and hurt my horse?
One of the major attributes of CoolStance is that it will swell in water, which helps to rehydrate horses. When CoolStance is fed dry, the horses eat the feed more slowly, and by having the water trough away from the feed trough, they have to walk away from the feeders to have a drink of water. This helps to regulate consumption. Wetting feeds can also prevent dust irritation.
How should I store CoolStance®?
Store in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.
Burnhill Services Ltd is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
TIP! - The quickest way to get a delivery quote is to add the desired products to your basket, go to the checkout and click "Get Delivery Estimate"
We aim to dispatch all orders received before 2pm the same working day (with the exception of some items that clearly show a delayed dispatch notice on the product image).
The order may also be delivered to your place of work or left in a safe place at the chosen delivery address (safe place does not require a signature but is left at the customers own risk). Please be aware all DPD orders require a signature (or a photograph during COVID-19 social distancing) upon delivery, unless requested otherwise. Delivery charges are calculated on the delivery weight that we assign to a product. This may differ from the actual weight of the product, for example, in instances where the bulky nature of the product means increased postage costs apply. If there is no one in to sign for the delivery and a safe place has not been selected a card will be left and an automatic re-delivery will be attempted the next working day. If for a second time the delivery has not been signed for a second card will be left detailing how to re-arrange delivery. If no attempt is made to re-arrange delivery, the order will returned to us. If the order is returned to us after the second card attempt we will incur a charge which may be passed on to the customer.